AP Moller Maersk opened its doors last night to allow industry to meet with Jose Maria Figueres and Richard Branson, two co- founders of the oddly named Carbon War Room.
Hearing one shipping industry figure tell Branson that shipping was doing its bit already led to a suggestion from Branson that the organisation moves on to find another industry to focus on (The irony was not lost, as the group has said it will focus on aviation).
But after the high profile names were whisked out after quick interviews with the mainstream media (yours truly was the only trade press there) there was a general feeling of: What is this all about? What exactly is it going to achieve?
Given that those present are the technology innovators like Skysails and DK Group and the shipowners, it perhaps enhanced Nils Andersen’s comment that the NGO’s and other activists groups can shine a light on the good that shipping is doing, while helping the industry see what it has become blind to.
However I think one private comment to me from another owner brought it home.
“In the seventies I was a hippy. Now I am in charge of the company”.
Yes. The corporate hippies can come out of the green closet.
- Small technology, big data
- Mixed signals from demolition sector
- Ahrenkiel Steamship merger boosts MPC results
- Almost $3bn invested in new LPG ships this year
- Shippers and forwarders: we want to hear from you
- DS Victory sale for $33.6m highlights firm secondhand VLCC prices
- NordLB books a $136m first-half loss on shipping
- Oil siphoning piracy increasingly looks like an inside job
- Congestion impacts ocean-carrier reliability
- Ebola outbreak forces CMA CGM to reorganise West Africa calls
- CMA CGM tightlipped on post-P3 plans as it reports $94m profits
- Drawing a line — why pilotage must be exempt from competition
- GSI reports deeper first-half loss following consolidation with Longxue
- CSSC Holdings more than doubles its first-half profit
- HSH pledges to continue its bad bank shipping loan disposals
- No respite for falling Asia-Europe box prices
- China Shipping Development returns to half-year profit
- Sovcomflot goes back to black with a $64m net profit
Browse entries by catergory
Browse entries by month